When someone recently asked me how to make and use a charcoal face mask I answered “Very Carefully!”. Using charcoal alone to make a homemade face mask can get really messy. So if you’ve never done it before, here are a few tips…
Many people use activated charcoal because it is has been treated to increase the absorptive ability. This means that will stick together when combined with other things when creating a mask.
Being an inert ingredient, charcoal is quite un-likely to cause irritation or allergic reaction when used on skin. Charcoal can also be used for creating a hair mask. I’ll cover that in a separate article. Here are some DIY charcoal face masks you can create for yourself. You can get activated charcoal at a drug store near you or from our boutique.
Charcoal Used as a Cleansing Scrub
- 1/2 tablespoon of activated charcoal powder
- 1/2 tablespoon of clean water
- 1/2 tablespoon of fine grain sea salt
Benefits of These Ingredients
- sea salt helps fight bacteria and acne
- charcoal aides in cleansing and detoxing skin cells
If you find the consistency a little bit runny, add more of the charcoal or salt until you get the consistency you like.
DIY Activated Charcoal Face Mask
- One tsp water
- Half tsp honey
- Half tsp Bentonite Clay
- Two drops of lavender essential oil
- One tsp activated Charcoal Powder
- One drop of tea tree essential oil
Mix all the ingredients in a small glass or ceramic boel. Ppply generously to your face, avoiding the mouth and eyes. Leave it on for 10 minutes. Rinse off with warm water. Afterwards, if needed, you can add a small drop of face serum or other moisturizer.
Simple Charcoal Face Mask
- activated charcoal
The amount you will use depend on how much you want to make. Add water a little bit at a time, mixing well to get the right consistency for you.
- Add charcoal to a bowl and add water until the consistency is that of pudding
- Put a thin layer of oil on your face and apply the mask to your face using your fingers or cotton ball
- Allow it to sit for 10 to 30 minutes, or an hour but spritz some water so that it doesn’t dry and crack
- Rinse your face with warm water and apply face serum to moisturize your skin
Make sure when doing the facial mask that your clothes are covered, the counters as well. If you get it on anything, use baking soda and dish soap in warm water to scrub it off. On your laundry, add baking soda to clean the paste off.
When used once a week or twice a day, your skin is guaranteed to feel refreshed, soft, firm and glowing. Depending on the sensitivity of your skin, use the face mask wisely. Do the mask only when you notice that your face needs a revamp.
1 thought on “How to Make and Use a Charcoal Face Mask”
You must log in to post a comment.